It’s a terrible time to talk about goals. It’s Saturday. It’s July. It’s the 6th day of the month.
Today is the kind of day many of us are believing the lie we already failed and we should either give up or wait for Monday, August 1 or January to start attacking the thing we want to do with gazelle intensity.
I’m not making that up. Science tells us people are exponentially more likely to start a new goal on on what they believe to be the beginning.
Can we try something though?
What if we didn’t look for an excuse to start TODAY?
Let me give you an inside look into my Saturday morning.
The puppy and I went for a walk, I ate breakfast and took a shower and then I got a good ole fashioned notebook and pen and made a list of every goal I have.
Things I want to do this year. And things I want to do in my lifetime.
It’s a running list of course. Some will drop off. New ones will get added. Some will change with seasons. But all of them are desires of my heart right this moment.
There’s 172 goals on that list.
I’m a dreamer.
I want to run a 5k, pain-free and without dropping dead of a heart attack.
I want to publish multiple New York Times’ bestsellers.
I want to speak at some of the nation’s largest conferences for leaders, creatives, entrepreneurs and ministry workers.
I want to live off 10 percent of my income and give 90 percent away.
I want 100,000 subscribers on my email list.
And that’s just the beginning.
But you know what I did after I made that list? I made myself go back through that list and visualize every one of them coming true.
Why did I do that?
Because if I don’t BELIEVE I can actually accomplish the dream, it’s nothing more than a wish. It will never actually happen if I don’t believe I am capable of its reality.
That’s what the enemy wants, by the way. He wants you to doubt yourself. When you encounter paralyzing panic, it’s not that your dreams are too big. It’s that the enemy has convinced you that you are too small.
But that’s nothing but lies. God created you as a human because it is the most talented species on Planet Earth. He created you to live fully as an heir of His throne, walking in confidence to do all He created and called you to do. He designed you to see every dream come true. He wants to see you have all the desires of your heart.
So let’s take some practical steps toward our goals in confidence because we are committing to listening to the Voice of Truth today:
- Create a list of all your goals. On real paper. With an ink pen. No goal is too small or too big. Think professionally, personally, financially, relationally, physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
- Pick one that is really important to you.
- Write down your why for that goal. Not your “should be” why, but your actual why. Now put that where you will see it everyday. (If you don’t know why you want something, it might not be YOUR goal.)
- Flip to another sheet of paper and make a list of as many physical things you can do to make progress on that goal. Don’t stop until you’ve come up with at least 25, and you don’t have to stop there. These are actual tangible things you can DO.
- Now pick one and go do it. And do one thing on the list every single day. Notice I didn’t say to do it perfectly. I didn’t say you had to be successful. I just said to DO it.
- If you are like me, you need data in front of you. I keep a Google sheet for all kinds of goals and track my progress from day to day, week to week and month to month. This can be as simple as a check mark on your calendar that you did something toward your goal that day, or as complicated as you want to make it. But keep record so you can hold yourself accountable.
You’ll keep taking steps and one day, you’ll look back and not even realize how far you have come. And then one day beyond that, you will wake up and realize you’re living the thing that was just a dream once upon a time.
And then you would get to go back to that original list and pick another goal.
Some days will feel like nothing is happening. The key is to CONSISTENTLY take steps in confidence toward the thing God put on your heart.
The enemy wants you to read this and say, “I’ll do that tomorrow.” He wants you to fall for the lie that you have to wait until Monday. Or August 1. Or January.
What if you didn’t listen to the lies, and you decided to take a step in faith TODAY?